Saturday, August 16, 2008

Happy Birthday Rachelle!

To my sister:


Happy Birthday Rachelle!


I don't think that anybody who meets Rachelle ever forgets her. I even heard about about you, Rachelle, at the Minert family reunion from Steve's relatives. I'm finally getting used to people asking me all about you.

How would I describe my sister to those who don't know her? Rachelle is such a character. Rachelle has a huge personality; she can make anyone laugh. And she can be devious! Remember when you convinced us to run away from home, and all I brought was a cloth carrot for sustenance? You were our fearless leader, until we got to the end of our street and ran back home; I think I was also crying . . . Remember when you helped me sneak out of the house with some friends to "fork" a friend's lawn? Our friend thought the forks were so funny (as we hoped), and I never got in trouble for this from our parents so it was an all-around success!Remember when you used photography tricks to create a double image of Paul, and then convinced Paul (when he was very young and impressionable) that he had a twin that our parents got rid of for misbehavior. Poor Paul. Wait, poor me. Remember when you told me I should eat all of your peas because it would make me smarter and I did. Shame on you, picking on a little kid! In kindergarten, I wrote in an "All About Me" book that my favorite food was liver so you were probably helping me out with the peas. Fortunately, my palate has expanded and is much improved.

I can't believe your look of glee as you pushed Heather out of the bouquet competition. It's one of my favorite wedding pictures. I love it, and it makes me laugh every single time. I'm glad you came to my wedding.

Here's a story you'll appreciate. Dad and I were talking about ages for renting cars without paying the additional young driver charge. Dad asked me if I was 24. Of course, I'm not 24 so I had to explain how old you, Janae and I were. Oh yeah, he said, where has the time gone? He couldn't believe how fast we've all grown up. It's true. Time goes by quickly. I remember when you helped me style my bangs (curled in front, wall of bangs curled backwards and styled to cascade--classy!), and that you let me borrow your crimping iron. As the first born, you've always been at the forefront and done most everything first. I wanted to work at the Gap just like you did! As the first born, you've been subjected to our parents' first experiments in parenting. Sorry, they may have been more laid back with us younger kids.

I happen to think you've turned out quite well.

No comments: